Homemade Gift Guide: 3 easy recipes you can make at home!
It's that time of year...you're short on time or cash or maybe both but you want to give a gift to someone special. These three DIY gifts are quick and easy to make at home with items you probably have in your pantry.
COFFEE BODY SCRUB
This easy to make gift is perfect for any skincare fan. Who wouldn't love a natural body scrub that smells like coffee?
Prep time: 5 minutes
Ingredients: 1 cup ground coffee, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup coconut oil
You can use jojoba or another oil if you don't have coconut. We like coconut because it is solid at under 76 degrees and is a little less messy.
Heat the coconut oil until it melts to a liquid consistency. Allow to cool, but not re-harden. Stir.
Add in the coffee grounds and sugar until combined. Store in a mason jar or another container. Use a tablespoon or two 1-2 times a week for an all-over glow!
Tips: Add a tag with the ingredients and caution to be careful if using in the shower. Also add an expiration date of 2 months and a note not to let water into the container or it will spoil.
Homemade mustard is so easy to make, you'll probably never buy it again! Plus you can customize it by adding different salts, herbs, sweeteners. Try adding curry, maple syrup, cayenne, cranberries or alcohol for your own unique blend.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Wait time: 3 days
8 tablespoons of mustard seeds (A nice combination is 6 tbsp yellow and 2 tbsp brown but you can use all yellow for a milder mustard. Mustard seeds are available in the spice aisle or click the link above.)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (or white wine, sherry or red wine vinegar)
1/3 cup water (or beer, white or another alcohol like brandy)
2 tbsp of sweetener (honey, sugar or maple syrup)
1.5 tsp salt (fine sea salt, dead sea salt)
2 tsp extra flavor of your choice (curry, cayenne, or anything else)
1 tsp tumeric (optional- adds more yellow color)
Combine mustard seeds, water, and vinegar in a bowl and stir well to completely submerge the seeds. Cover and allow to soak at room temperature for 3 days. Swirl the bowl around a little each day to see the transformation. After 3 days, pour the mixture into a blender, add sweetener,salt, and any custom flavors and blend until smooth. Store in a sealed jar and refrigerate.
HEALTHY GRANOLA (from cookieandkate.com)
This is a fabulous recipe and healthier than what you can buy at the store.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 21-24 mins, plus 1 hr to cool
4 cups old fashioned oats
1.5 cups nuts and/or seeds (pecans, walnuts, pumpkin)
1 tsp fine grain salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup chopped dried fruit (dates, cranberries etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts and/or seeds, salt and cinnamon. Stir to blend.
- Pour in the oil, maple syrup and/or honey and vanilla. Mix well, until every oat and nut is lightly coated. Pour the granola onto your prepared pan and use a large spoon to spread it in an even layer.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 21 to 24 minutes, stirring halfway (for extra-clumpy granola, press the stirred granola down with your spatula to create a more even layer). The granola will further crisp up as it cools.
- Let the granola cool completely, undisturbed (at least 45 minutes). Top with the dried fruit (and optional chocolate chips, if using). Break the granola into pieces with your hands if you want to retain big chunks, or stir it around with a spoon if you don’t want extra-clumpy granola.
- Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks, or in a sealed freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. The dried fruit can freeze solid, so let it warm to room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Hope these quick gift ideas help you with a few people on your list. They are really appreciated by anyone. Here are a few ideas: teachers, neighbors, dog walker, friends, mail carrier and family.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Healthy Skin Highlight from Be Green Bath and Body
We at Be Green Bath & Body treat every day as Earth Day. We focus a lot of energy on being as environmentally responsible as possible. Please join us and make a real commitment to preserve our precious earth.