Niacinamide has become all the rage on social media, especially in TikTok videos, and this has lead this powerful ingredient to become increasingly popular in skincare products. The raw ingredient, a white powder that is soluble in water, helps build keratin, a protein that maintains skin health. It’s also been shown to make your skin stronger, smoother and brighter. It has numerous skin benefits and truly is a multi-purpose ingredient.
Niacinamide is a type of vitamin B3. There are actually eight B vitamins that support different aspects of your health. Your body makes niacinamide when you have too much niacin in your body and your body can also convert the amino acid tryptophan into niacinamide.
- Reducing acne- Niacinamide may help reduce inflammatory acne resulting in fewer lesions over time. It also helps regulate the amount of oil the sebaceous glands produce.
- Evening out skin tone- possibly due to increased collagen production, Niacinamide can help reduce hyperpigmentation and lighten dark spots resulting in skin brightening.
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, and improves skin texture.
- Lipid barrier- Niacinamide helps build the ceramide barrier which, in turn, helps skin retain moisture.
- Helps reduce inflammation, redness, and irritation, making it suitable for all skin types. Those with sensitive skin and skin conditions may find it especially beneficial. Please note that Niacinamide may cause some temporary redness for those with extremely sensitive skin.
- Niacinamide is an antioxidant which helps to protect skin from the oxidative damage caused by free radicals. These free radicals can cause premature skin aging, discoloration, and even skin cancer. Niacinamide helps to reduce the oxidative damage and protect skin from environmental damage from UV rays and pollution.
- The appearance of pores may be minimized as the skin is smoother and moisturized.